Victoria Park Flyover Southbound Changes: Video

 

January 9 is the date the drive south on SH1 from the North Shore will change for good when the NZTA opens the flyover across Victoria Park in a new southbound-only layout.

All four lanes on the flyover will carry southbound traffic and the NZTA is advising drivers to prepare well for the changes, which are being made as part of the staged completion of the Victoria Park Tunnel project.

All additional southbound motorway capacity will open at the same time as the new layout on the viaduct. This includes an fifth traffic lane through St Marys Bay and a city bound bus lane.

All additional northbound motorway capacity will open in March, including the third lane in the Victoria Park tunnel.

There will be no opportunity for drivers to change direction once they are on the flyover because the central barrier that previously separated northbound and southbound traffic will remain.

The southbound lanes to the left of the barrier will take drivers off SH1 to the CBD via Cook Street, east to the Port and west to the North Western Motorway (SH16). The two lanes to the right of the barrier will continue south on SH1 to Newmarket and beyond.

Tommy Parker, the NZTA”s local State Highways Manager calls it the biggest change on Auckland’s central motorway network since the viaduct was opened in 1962.

“We are strongly recommending that drivers chose their correct lane early, while they are still on the North Shore approaching the harbour bridge to reduce dangerous lane changes through St Marys Bay.

“It’s well proven internationally that drivers don’t gain anything by frequent lane changing. In fact, they slow the entire network down. By getting into the correct lane early, and staying in that lane, they will help make the drive through St Marys Bay a lot safer and smoother for everyone.”

VICTORIA PARK FLYOVER; Now comes the big test

Motorway signs from Onewa to the viaduct are being upgraded to reflect the new layout on the Victoria Park flyover.

Here’s a video explaining it.

 

 

  • The two lanes on the Auckland Harbour Bridge northbound box girder extension, or clip-on, will be closed by the NZ Transport Agency from Boxing Day for routine resurfacing work.

The closure will start from 5am, Monday 26 December, until Sunday 8 January 2012. As well as the two bridge lanes, the Curran Street on-ramp and the Stafford Road off-ramp will also be closed.

During the closure, the six other traffic lanes on the harbour bridge will remain open – three in each direction.

Tags:

 
 
 

13 Comments

 
  1. Matt L says:

    “Tommy Parker, the NZTA”s local State Highways Manager calls it the biggest change on Auckland’s central motorway network since the viaduct was opened in 1962.”
    That sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, I would have thought that opening of links between SH16 (west and Grafton Gulley) would have been a bigger change than what amounts to a change in off ramps.

  2. James F says:

    I’m not entirely sure how much they spent on the render, but my goodness it’s beautiful. Very informative as well!

  3. Anthony says:

    Well, nowadays, graphics like these are quite common, so they prolly aren’t that pricey.

  4. Patrick R says:

    And could they squeeze a buslane along St Mary’s Bay to Fanshaw with all those extra lanes? Is there one or is that just a hard sholder? And if it is one why does it die out before the Fanshaw St one begins?

  5. Ingolfson says:

    So much money spent on cars, so little on anything else. But yes, the renders are pretty.

  6. James B says:

    Why is Nek Minnit a related video?
    Or is it something like complete western ring route. Nek Minnit. Eastern Highway.

  7. Jon C says:

    @James B very funny

  8. Ingolfson says:

    @James B

    Left my transport policy outside the dairy. Nek Minnit, motorways everywhere.

  9. James B says:

    @Ingolfson

    Overspent my budget for the next two years. Nek Minnit. Auckland Council bailout.

  10. Evan J says:

    Patrick R, I think you will find the left hand lane from the bridge to Fanshaw Street, which does not have a colour on the video, will be a bus lane. I have also read somewhere that the moveable barriers will go from the bridge to the Fanshaw Street intersection to create an extra northbound lane during rush hour on the right hand south bound lane. I see that extra entry portals under the viaduct at the intersection are being built at present.

  11. pedronius says:

    Second video.. Don’t drive like THAT guy!

  12. J Hagan says:

    Can’t view the video. It comes up with the message “This Video is Private”!

  13. Jon C says:

    @J Hagan It’s an NZTA video on You Tube. It was showing. NZTA must have made it unavailable.

 

Leave a Comment

 




XHTML: You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>