Judge Orders Out Occupy Auckland
At last! A judge this morning ordered the Occupy Auckland protestors to cease residing in Aotea Square.
He’s told the Tent People to remove all of the paraphernalia associated with the protest campsite within 48 hours. The protestors have been camping in the square since October 15 and originally said they would stay until the election.
Occupy Auckland says it plans to “appeal this judgement & defend our privileges under the Bill of Rights, for the benefit of all in Aotearoa.
“We would like to express our appreciation to all our supporters and to ask them for any urgent assistance and/or actions in solidarity that they are able to undertake. Please either come to the occupation with any ideas/resources that you have available to you and undertake urgent outreach to supporter networks to let everyone, worldwide, know of this gross injustice that is being perpetuated against us by the Court. “
Occupy Auckland has also started an online petition
and is asking for food donations.
Auckland Council says in a statement that it welcomes the court’s decision to grant its application for a permanent injunction to end the occupation of Aotea Square.
On November 28 Occupy Auckland was issued a trespass notice from Auckland Council CEO Douglas McKay requiring members of Occupy Auckland to forthwith leave and stay away from Aotea Square. Today they were reported as planning Christmas dinner there.
The protestors, including veteran protestors like John Minto and Penny Bright went to court and Judge David Wilson was asked to rule whether Auckland Council can enforce a trespass order and move Occupy protesters out of Aotea Square.
He has done so.
When I visited there last week one of them told me more than half the occupants were just homeless people who had moved in from the streets. And theoccupiers were approaching people in the square wanting them to buy a sausage for $2 each – one could say quite a ripoff from people who claim to be questioning capitalism.
This protest has gone on far too long. It has never been focused on the aims of the original US tent people and the grass is so damaged, it’s going to cost ratepayers estimated 6-figure sums to repair.
They achieved nothing.
The problem is: will they try this on again?