Motorway Closures Ahead, Big Projects Start
It’s going to be another busy summer for NZTA motorway projects with considerable disruption during the next few months.
Several new projects get underway – Waterview, the the first stage of associated work to raise and widen the Northwestern’s upper harbour causeway, the construction of a new footbridge across the Northwestern at Westgate (a joint project with Auckland Transport); and improvements to the Papakura interchange on the Southern Motorway.
There’ll be motorway closures on these dates:
• 11-14 November, Victoria Park Tunnel: Intensive work to connect tunnel lanes to SH1 will cause severe disruption and delays for northbound motorway drivers through the Central Motorway Junction (Spaghetti Junction) throughout the weekend. Two of tunnel’s three lanes are scheduled to open on Monday 14 November.
• 13 November, Southern Motorway: Overnight closures of all northbound lanes between Ellerslie and Greenlane interchanges for works linked to highway widening and rail electrification.
• 22 – 24 November, SH1/2 interchange, Pokeno: Overnight closures SH1 southbound for highway resurfacing.
• 27 – 29 November, SH1/2 interchange Pokeno: Overnight closure SH1 northbound for highway resurfacing.
• 3-4 December, Newmarket Viaduct: Three of four southbound lanes closed for work to connect or “stitch” together the new southbound and northbound viaducts
• 4 – 6 December, SH1/2 interchange, Pokeno: north and southbound ramps from SH2 to SH1 closed overnight for resurfacing.
• 26 December – 8 January, Auckland Harbour Bridge: Annual maintenance programme will close two lanes for resealing
• 7-8 January, Lincoln Road (Northwestern Motorway): Motorway closure and diversions in place while the old Lincoln Road overbridge is demolished.
• 8 January, Victoria Park Viaduct: Re-configured viaduct becomes operational and will carry four lanes of southbound traffic.
• 28-30 January, Newmarket Viaduct: Full closure of Southern Motorway northbound between Market Road and Gillies Avenue so that traffic can be switched on to new northbound viaduct.